Monday 12 January 2009

Coming of Age...Seijin no hi (成人の日)

'I m proudly to announce that i m 20 now!!!!', i think that this phrase is a craze among the Japanese youngsters here as today is the day of Coming Of Age- to celebrate those who has reach the age of 20. Its one of the biggest celebration in Japan to celebrate the passage into adulthood.

The Japanese usually wear formal on this day. The girls with colourful kimonos called the furisode and the Guys with smart suits or traditional Japanese kimono called the hakama. They usually attend Seijin Shiki, the ceremony that many 20-year-olds attend where they will listen to certain elders, such as the local mayor, mainly discussing about responsibilities of adulthood or go to the shrine to pray for their desired future.

As you see, if u reach the age 20(in Japan), you have the right of voting, drinking and smoking.... these are those stuff that a typical Japanese youngster would like to do( I think- since that smoking and drinking are really common among Japanese male and female).

In my case..

'I m will be 20 this year!!!!'. Screamed in my mind with excitement..I will be 20 by 6th September.....but yet to me what is the real meaning of being 20?. what are the stuff that i m not allowed to do but i wanted to do???? Well i m not into politics, now is not the time to vote(fear of supporting the wrong person to lead the country). Besides I dont smoke...simply because I barely stand the smell, plus i dont drink due to some religious reasons...SO is being 20 is nothing difference to me?? I m lost in searching for the answer..

But to be frank I m feeling restless with anxiety upon the idea that I m on my way of being an adult, a grown up and the idea of the need of being one. .. from a kid a typical teenagers with craving for fun and excitement to a typical adult filled with responsibility, wisdom, and reasonalble attitude..I m still in my prime of being an teenager, having all the fun with myself, with little responsiblities and have the luxury to kill time with stuff that i want to do.. and I m still having this childish way of thinking...however considering my age, I must be an adult soon, i need to CHANGE...

Now, the main question is AM I PREPARED TO BECOME ONE?That is a big one for me.

4 comments:

Muhammad Irfan said...

si tua. haha. hey why do u set up your blog in japanese? lol.

zol dabat said...

how does feel like
to have ur age
starting with a 2???

sRisOphA said...

welcome to majority club.
u can do anything you want.
but with barriers.
you know your limits young man.
:)





-n0ttyNaStyc0oL-

Anonymous said...

y is it 20 in japan??? i always thot 21 was good~ u knw sweet 16 n 21 XD westernized*