Monday 13 April 2009

Japanese friends...

I have heard that making friends or to mingle around with a Japanese is difficult, especially with the guys. Actually i heard from my seniors who have enter the Universities, and according to them, it will tak e quite some time just to get them to asked for your name. (unless they are your teacher).

Even when me and my ABK(Asia Culture Japanese Language School) classmates and friends (who are not Japanese) start their 1st year in their respective universities, during the 1st week of the university life, they wouldphone called each other complaining about their new unis. And the main topic is always making friends and mingle around with the Japanese.

I received few calls from my ex-classmate and friends. Then they would nag about how snobbish and arrogant the Japanese students are, ignoring the foreign students and this eventually made us feel secluded or left a side.

I have had these problems myself for the 1st 2 weeks. I tried to be good,u see, smilling and making this 'i want to be your friend' face to everyone in my departments students. I tried to talk and ask them question but however they seem not intrested. em?? i look liked a freak or smtg??

I always get encouragement and advice from my senior Tan;he would say' make sure u greet them before they group up into their gengs, and then you will have no friend!', which i did today.

I was resting on a garden bench in my campus with my China friend JO. while doing my class schedule checks when a group of Japanese student came and sat beside me. This is my chance i said to myself. So i took a deep breath and asked the 1st basic question which was whether they are1st year student or not.. then from there we had quite a long conversation and we finally change numbers...(might sound gay but in Japan(under my observation), changing numbers are consider as '1st move to a friendship', i think). His name is Miyaji Akihiro, a Physic studies student.

Then during the my 1st Chemistry Lab experiment, i was doomed because i havent buy the 'must bring' books.. so i was luck enough when a Japanese offer to share his book. I remember his family name, Matsumoto (like Japanese biy band, Arahii 's member's name).

Plus, my lab partner, who had helped me a lot in understanding how the operation of the experiment. His name is Shinshi 進士, from Shizuoka, on the East of Nara and Osaka. It was difficult to communicate with him, considering that my Japanese level is still low. But after an hour or 2. i finally feel comfortable talking with him.

Besides,i got to know another guy who shared the same table in the Chemistry lab. This name is Seko. I seen him before in several of the classes i took, since that he is taking mechanical engineering too. Just now he offer me a sit with him in other classes.. I just noded...

Anyway, from the experience I had, Japanese students are not that arrogant or snobbish. They are kinda kind actually and are willing to help when u ask.

So the lesson here is that, u muct be an extrovert and greet them 1st not waiting for them to greet u because it wont happen. There are possibilitiespon i think it would be low...

NOTE: in my campus, there are only a handfull of girls.huhu. so most of the people i know so far are guys.

3 comments:

zol dabat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zol dabat said...

heheh
it's good to be friendly though
anyhow,no matter what
always hold ur head up high
and tell yourself
I'm a MALAYSIAN......

Anonymous said...

no worries..hv fun adapting to campus life k..su tai!