Sunday 12 April 2009

Hanami at Yoyogi Park

Today, i went out for my 1st Hanami. Me and my roomate joined my Petronas seniors there as well as other Malaysian students.

Hanami is an activity done by the Japanese for decades.
If i m not mistaken, Hanami is like a celebration to celebrate the beauty of the sakuras.
Hanami derive from the word 'hana' (flower) and 'mi' ( short form for to look or see).
So basically, Hanami is an activity where the Japanese
would go to the garden
and have picnic under the blooming Sakuras (cherry blossom).
Usually they will have meal while enjoying drinking beer and sake(japanese's alcohol drink) with friends or family.
Hanami is mainly done in spring where the sakura is blooming.
NOTE:On other day, it would not be called hanami.

Its quite irony u see, the word 'hanami' itself means 'looking at flowers', but the real fact is that(under my observation) these Japanese were enjoy eating, drinking,karaokeing etc rather than having the time to exactly look and be mesmerised by the beauty of sakuras. My ex Japanese did told me that during hanami, she just enjoy drinking and chatting.

My 1st hanami (which is today) was in Yoyogi Park (near Harajuku).
It was held by the MSAJ (Malaysian Student Association Japan).
I reached at 10am to see that most of my senior and 2 or my junior are there, with other Malaysian students under different scholarships.
The main thing that we did was just eating and chatting and playing games..


it was still early, there werent a lot of people by then, however, in after lunch, the place was flooded with Japanese and Foreigners too..in the pic above, that was us under the tree... we werent lucky enough because the sakuras have fallen..



Lucky enough to spot a tree with big flowers..i think they are not sakura. but the colour the fact that the whole tree is filled with flowers tell me that it is one of sakura's species or smth..hehe

Good thing about the activity is that is have the chance to meet new people and make new friends from other scholarships students..


i was kinda tired that time...what a day...

1 comment:

afiq said...

What a beautiful place..so nice Japan..really wanna go there..huhu